Overview of what we can offer
- 450 undergraduate rooms, of which 160 are en-suite.
- 220 postgraduate rooms, all en-suite.
- 17 flats/houses for couples and families.
Your College room and domestic facilities
All study bedrooms have the following standard items:
- Bed and mattress
- Mattress Protector
- Chest of drawers
- Desk and desk chair
- Comfy chair or sofa
- Waste bin
- Network point
En-suite rooms have, in addition:
On the main site and in the College houses, all kitchens have as standard:
- Food storage cupboards
- Cooker, or hob + combination microwave
Most kitchens also have a freezer, dining table and chairs.
Please bring with you crockery, cutlery, pots and pans and utensils.
At Swirles Court, which is designed as self-catering accommodation kitchens are large social dining spaces with all of the above as standard.
Unless you have an en-suite room (Swirles and Ash Court), main site bathrooms are centrally located along each corridor on a ratio of (as a minimum) 1 toilet / shower, per 5 residents.
- Main site: there are several laundry rooms with machines shared on an average ratio of 1:50 residents
- Houses: most have their own washing machines, or easy access to main site laundries
- Swirles: there is a large central laundry near the lodge with machines shared on an average ratio of 1:65 residents.
- All shared facilities are cleaned daily Monday-Friday by College staff.
- You are responsible for cleaning your own study bedroom and for segregating your rubbish for recycling in the kitchen bins.
- You may bring your own bedlinen or order a College bedding back ahead of your arrival.
- Unless you are otherwise notified, beds on the main site are standard singles and at Swirles all are small doubles.
Girton is a member of the ANUK National Code of Standards for larger student developments (Educational establishments) and we allocate, maintain and manage our accommodation in line with code requirements.
- 37 or 38 weeks, depending on term dates. No residence during the 2-week Christmas closure but rooms do not have to be cleared. Summer vacation accommodation is usually available at Swirles Court.
- There is an option for some shorter tenancies in Ash Court, subject to rooms being vacated and cleared of belongings in early December, for use by Admissions Candidates.
- 39–48 weeks, depending on course length.
Allocation and Application Procedures
First year undergraduate students live in the main College building and are allocated to a room before they arrive in College. Once they have a confirmed place at the College they will be contacted with more information. They do not need to apply for accommodation before this.
- The rooms in the College building are arranged on corridors with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities on each corridor creating a sociable atmosphere for living and studying. Corridors are mixed sex and mixed cohort.
- Adapted rooms are provided for students with disabilities in Ash Court.
Rooms for undergraduates from second year onwards are allocated through an annual student-run ballot; a student’s position on the room-choosing list being determined by the type of room they have had in preceding years.
Second, third and fourth year undergraduates have a choice of rooms in the main College building, Ash Court, Swirles Court or in a College-owned house.
- Please apply for accommodation as soon as you receive an offer of a place at Girton by completing the application form here.
- Priority will be given to students who apply for accommodation and meet their course offer conditions by 31 July 2021.
- Your room will be confirmed once you have met all your University and College conditions of admission.
- Please apply for a room by 27 June 2021 by completing the form here.
- Current Postgraduates will be able to apply for rooms in Swirles Court as individuals or in groups of four to eight students. If students apply in groups, as far as possible, we will try to keep the groups together, however, due to the size of flats, groups may be split up or be accommodated with other groups or individuals.