Skip to main content

Postgraduate Accommodation

A beautiful place to live and learn

Postgraduate Accommodation

We can offer postgraduate students requiring single-occupancy accommodation a room for the duration of their studies. Residence fees are fixed so do not change for the duration of your course - no inflationary or other increases. Heat, light, power, internet, and contents insurance are all included - there are no hidden extras.

There are two accommodation areas available for postgraduate students requiring single-occupancy accommodation - Swirles Court where most postgraduates reside, and the Grange, a manor house on the Main College site. We also have a small selection of properties for couples and students with children - these are not available every year.

The standard tenancy is 49 weeks, that runs from the Saturday before the last week of September until 31 August. Shorter tenancies, related to course length, are available by arrangement at the outset for students on courses that end before August. The shortest tenancy ends 15 July. In certain circumstances, including if the student is continuing to the following year, their tenancy can be extended to 52 weeks.

Swirles Court

Swirles Court consists of 325 single state-of-the-art en-suite study bedrooms with kitchen facilities shared between four and eight students. Swirles Court is the primary accommodation area for Girton’s postgraduates and is located in Eddington, West Cambridge, easily accessible to both central Cambridge and the Main College site.

The Grange

The Grange is a large house on the Main College site that comprises 12 standard rooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. 

Family and Couple Accommodation

Please note that there are no family/couple accommodation options in 2023-24.  The College also has a range of family/couple accommodation. The properties range from 1 to 3 bedrooms and are self-contained with their own kitchen, bathroom and living room with study facilities. They are located on or close to the main College site and are walking/cycling distance from Swirles Court.

The Application and Allocation Process

  • Please apply for accommodation only once you have received an offer of a place at Girton by completing the application form here.  After application, you won't hear from the Accommodation Office until the summer.  
  • Priority will be given to students who apply for accommodation and meet all of their course offer conditions with the University by 31 July 2023.  Accommodation is not guaranteed to those confirming their place after the 31st of July.  
  • Your room will be confirmed once you have met all your University and College conditions of admission.
  • Please apply for a room by 30 June 2023 by completing the form here.
  • Current Postgraduates will be able to apply for rooms in Swirles Court as individuals or in groups of four to eight students. If students apply in groups, as far as possible, we will try to keep the groups together, however, due to the size of flats, groups may be split up or be accommodated with other groups or individuals.
  • If you are renewing your tenancy you will be able to remain in your accommodation for the full 52 weeks and will not be required to move out in September.
  • Accommodation will be allocated from August onwards for new postgraduates and from July for current / continuing postgraduates.
  • Offers of accommodation will be emailed to the email address provided on your accommodation application form so if this changes please email:
  • Accommodation will have students from a mixture of courses and nationalities within each household.  Accommodation is usually mixed genders but we may be able to provide single sex accommodation depending upon demand.
  • Couple and family accommodation priorities can be found at: Family and Couple accommodation.


Discover more about what accommodation we can offer you

Discover more