Skip to main content

Family and Couple Accommodation

Flats and houses

Accommodation for Families and Couples

Below are a selection of images from some of the properties. For the 2024/2025 academic year, due to existing tenancies we may not have any availability.

Girton College has a small number of properties suitable for couples and families. The properties range from one-bedroom flats to three-bedroom family accommodation and are located in the grounds of or close to Girton College's main site.

The properties are all self-contained, having their own kitchens, bathrooms, bedroom(s) and living areas and are fully furnished including bedding, crockery and utensils.

These are not available every year.  The University's Accommodation Service can also provide assistance when looking for properties.

Rent for the postgraduate flats and houses are available at this link.

There are various utility charges that are associated with renting properties in the UK.

Water is a chargeable item and will be included in the rent and any charges for energy (heating and electricity) will be paid by the College and then charged back to the student on their College Bill. Meters are read each month by the Housekeeper and checked against invoices received from the utility companies.

As a rough guide, gas and electricity can cost approximately £120 per calendar month.

Another chargeable item in the UK is Council Tax, a charge that varies according to the size of the property and to the status of the adults residing there.

Discounts and/or exemptions can be claimed for all full-time students, and for non-employed spouses of overseas students where the visa restricts eligibility for employment and benefits and for working adults on low incomes. Charges vary from property to property and are increased by the Local Authority in March each year.

Very importantly, this needs to be paid by the occupant directly to South Cambs District Council and should be organised soon after moving in.

Full-time students should ask the Student Services Office for a Council Tax exemption letter as soon as they move into the property by emailing

The order in which properties are allocated is as follows: 

  • Students who are new to Cambridge
  • New students who have previously lived in Cambridge
  • Returning students

Due to availability, we cannot guarantee that all those who request couples or family accommodation will receive an offer.


Discover more about what accommodation we can offer you

Discover more