The 1930s building of the Library, with its awe-inspiring vaulted timber ceiling, was complemented in 2005 by a multi-award winning extension. This created a spacious IT resources area and a state-of-the-art repository to house the Archive and the Special Collections. These collections range from rare Sanskrit manuscripts to gifts of books from Girton’s most notable early supporters such as Tennyson, Ruskin and George Eliot. There are extensive and internationally important collections on the history of women and work, the suffrage movement, and women’s education, as well as an extensive archive of the College’s ground-breaking history.
Girton College Library: phased re-opening from Monday 8 March 2021
From Monday 8 March, Girton College Library will begin a phased re-opening to current members of College only. This is in addition to our "zero-contact" services, which will continue to be offered.
All items on loan to current students were renewed until Monday 15 March.
From Monday 8 March, Girton College Library will begin a phased re-opening to current members of College only. This is in addition to our "zero contact" services, which will continue to be offered.
· If we know that you are NOT back in Cambridge, your loans will be renewed again until Wednesday 28 April.
· All other students will be expected to return their loans no later than Monday 15 March, in readiness for the start of vacation borrowing on Friday 19 March. Please look out for more information next week.
From Monday 8 March, current members of College can book seats or browsing sessions in the Library as follows:
· 9.30am–12noon (begins Monday 8 March)
· 2.00pm–4.30pm (begins Monday 8 March)
· 6.30pm–11.00pm (begins Saturday 13 March)
We will aim to offer three sessions a day whenever possible throughout the Easter vacation, but it will not always be possible, and it may be necessary to cancel sessions at short notice. Please be guided by the booking software.
To book a specific seat in the Library, please go to https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/space/10543
To book a browsing sessing in the Library, please go to https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/girton_books
· Face coverings should be worn at all times while in the Library. If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, please book to use a study room instead and use "click & collect" to borrow books.
· If you are eligible for but not participating in asymptomatic household testing, you may not use communal study spaces such as the Library. Please book to use a study room instead and use "click & collect" to borrow books.
· If you are using Library materials such as books, please make sure that you wash or sanitise your hands every 30 minutes. If you are using a Library computer or other equipment, it is your responsibility to disinfect it before and after use. You must maintain 2m social distance while in the Library and if you queue to enter.
Girton College Library's "zero contact" services will continue to be offered. The information circulated on 17 February about these services is repeated below.
Girton College Library & Archive PLUS study spaces, 17/02/2021
In line with the University Library and many of the department/faculty libraries within the University, Girton College Library is currently offering "zero contact" services only. Please note that we will be keeping these services under review and may need to amend them at short notice.
Despite the lockdown, staff are working to support you in your study and research as follows:
· For help finding or using online resources, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your supervisors are also ready to provide alternative suggestions if there is material that you can't access electronically.
· We are participating in the UL's "scan & deliver" service. More information about this service is available at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/using-library/zero-contact-services/scan-deliver. Please do not email us directly to ask for scans from print items held by Girton but instead use this centralized service. Note that it does not include items held by Girton College Archive or any of the Library's special collections.
· We are holding weekly online drop-in sessions –Tuesdays at 4pm. All welcome. Details are included in the Thrive emails sent on Mondays.
· We are holding regular "solidari-study" sessions. Details are included in the Thrive emails sent on Mondays.
· One-to-one support is also available. Please email email@example.com to arrange.
Printed books and DVDs
· For everyone's convenience, all items on loan from Girton College Library to current members of College have been renewed until the end of Full Term.
· Current members of College resident in Cambridge can use "click & collect" to request loans of print material or DVDs held by Girton College Library via the form at https://girtoncollege.wufoo.com/forms/click-collect-request/. Please allow at least three working days.
· If you are in Cambridge, you are welcome to return items using the drop boxes outside the Library.
· If you are in Cambridge and have items on loan that are requested by another member of the College, you will be asked if you can return them.
Girton College Archive is able to answer a limited range of remote enquiries only. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a query but note that it will take the Archivist longer than usual to reply. The Archive remains closed to visitors.
Shared study spaces - for current members of College resident in Cambridge
Library study rooms on Hyphen corridor:-
· D33: for use by up to 2 members of the same household. Pre-book at https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/girton.
· D34: for use by up to 3 members of the same household. Pre-book at https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/girton.
· D35: for use by up to 3 members of the same household. Pre-book at https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/girton.
Other shared study spaces in College
· Old Hall: for silent study by up to 8 people at a time. Paper sign-in sheets.
· Stanley Library: for silent study by up to 4 people at a time. Paper sign-in sheets
· Social hub: for silent study by up to 8 people at a time, Paper sign-in sheets.
· Social hub "club room": for solo study. Pre-book at https://calendars.libraries.cam.ac.uk/calendar/girton.
· Swirles Court study room: for silent study for up to 4 people at a time. Book via the Swirles Lodge; phone 01223 760021. There is also one MCS computer for use.
*** Please note ***
· You must observe the terms and conditions of use for these spaces and pay attention to the times of the sessions. For everyone's safety, all study rooms need to be vacated at specified times so that they can be cleaned and/or ventilated.
· Do not use any of the study rooms if you have Covid symptoms; book a test.
· If you are eligible for but not participating in asymptomatic pooled household testing, you may only use the Hyphen corridor study rooms or the "club room".
· Face coverings should be worn. If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, you may only use the Hyphen corridor study rooms or the "club room".
Follow us on Facebook: @GirtonCollegeLibrary