Skip to main content

Unexpected Financial Problems

Information for Postgraduates

Help with Unexpected Financial Difficulties

Students are expected to have planned their finances before starting their studies. However, we appreciate that occasionally problems arise.

The Pillman Student Support Fund can provide small grants to postgraduates experiencing financial difficulty due to an unavoidable change in their circumstances and where a relatively small amount of funding might make a significant difference.. You can apply for this by talking to your Tutor first or the Financial Welfare Officer or you can apply online. All applications will be sent on to your Tutor for their approval. 

Do you require long term or higher value support?

If you are experiencing more significant problems and may need longer term or higher value support, you should complete the University's Postgraduate Financial Assistance Word document offline in the first instance and take this to discuss your needs with your Tutor. 

  1. Talk to your Academic Supervisor and College Tutor about applying 
  2. Read the eligibility criteria here to ensure you are eligible
  3. Read the application guidance
  4. Once you have completed these steps, you can apply online here  
  5. Applications open at the start of each term and close around Division of Term

Helpful information:

 It can be difficult to navigate what financial support may be provided. Here is some more information about the support available. In all instances, applications will require your Tutor’s support.

Financial Support for Postgraduates

Girton College offers a range of financial support to students

Find out more