Skip to main content

Students with Medical or Additional Needs

Information for Postgraduates

Students with medical needs

Financial support is available in some cases from the Crane's Charity medical support fund in the form of partial reimbursement of certain expenses incurred by students experiencing physical or mental illness. The treatment applied for should not be conveniently or readily obtainable under the NHS. (Contact your GP in the first instance). See below for information about the NHS for international students. 

How to apply?

  1. If you have not already tried to access the required essential medical treatment on the NHS, contact your GP. Find out the estimated NHS waiting list time for your treatment.
  2. If the waiting list for NHS treatment is too long and you are unable to finance private treatment yourself, read the eligibility criteria on the link here . 
  3. Read the application guidance including looking at the details of the application form.
  4. Talk to your College Tutor about applying. You may be asked to see the Nurses.
  5. Use this hard copy version of the application form for draft purposes and to discuss your needs with your Tutor
  6. Once you have the support of your Tutor, you can apply online here 
  7. For further guidance at any stage, contact the Financial Welfare Officer

Students seeking screening for additional needs

Students who believe they would benefit from screening for  possible SpLD, ADHD, or Autism Spectrum Conditions can now request an initial screening at the ADRC. You can discuss this with your Tutor and then either you or your Tutor can email or call 01223 332301 for  an appointment. 

Students with disabilities or additional needs

Students with disabilities, students who are neurodiverse or students who are experiencing difficulties can refer to the ADRC ( Accessibility and Resource Centre) for assessment and advice. The ADRC may recommend setting up a Student Support Document (SSD) if they think this would benefit you. Students with home fee status may also be eligible to apply for Disabled Students Allowance

You can access more information about  government support here:

Cambridge University's Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC) offers further support and advice for UK, EU and International students as well as information about other funds. If UK students require human support (e.g. note-takers, specialist mentoring), they should apply to the Reasonable Adjustments Fund. Students with international fee status can apply to the International Disabled Students’ Fund to fund their support. Here is some further information:

NHS for international students

International students pay an NHS surcharge as part of their visa. On arrival, you should register with your local GP or medical service in order to access free health care. Prescriptions are charged at a reduced rate. 

You may find the following guide for international students helpful. 


Financial Support for Postgraduates

Girton College offers a range of financial support to students

Find out more