Skip to main content

Special Bursaries and Funds

For Undergraduates

Special Bursaries and Funds

Other bursaries and financial help are available in certain cases. There are some special bursaries and also specific funds which can provide reimbursement for some expenses. 

This is a bursary for Undergraduate home Muslim students in financial need.

Details of the Sheikh family bursaries can be found via the Cambridge Students website.

Note that this closes once a term at mid term and applications must come from your Tutor on your behalf. This year these dates will be 9 November, 13 February, 14 May 2023

This bursary is available for clinical medical students in their 5th and 6th years.

Details of the NHS bursary can be found via the Cambridge Students website.

Any student displaced by the war in Ukraine who is in financial need can apply for extra support. Details of this support can be found here:

Students are encouraged to take one of the language programmes organised by CULP. Students may request partial reimbursement from their College for the fees, for one programme during their undergraduate and/ or postgraduate course.

Please apply here with your completion certificate and receipt.

The Academic Fund

The Girton Academic Fund can make small contributions to academic related expenses.

To be eligible to apply, you must be an Undergraduate, or a Clinical Medic/Vet student, at the time of the expenditure.

You should approach your Faculty or Department and/or other College funds in the first instance. The Committee will refer applications to other appropriate funds where possible.

The Academic Fund will be open for applications once a term. 

•    Michaelmas: 2 December 2022
•    Lent: 17 March 2023
•    Easter: 9 June 2023

  • Students should apply online. The application form will be available here.
  • Applications must be accompanied by receipts for expenditure which has already taken place. 
  • Students may be asked to write a short statement about how the Academic Fund helped them, in order to publicise the fund.

 If you have any questions about the Academic Fund please contact the Financial Welfare Office (

Applications to cover the following will be considered:

  • A contribution to College rent when students stayed out of the residence period for academic reasons, at the discretion of the committee depending on demand and on available funds. This may only be at a percentage of the daily rate.
  • A contribution towards non-compulsory field trip expenses, provided the Travel fund has been approached first.
  • A contribution to support internships with additional costs.
  • A contribution to exceptional dissertation or coursework expenses but not usually for printing.
  • A contribution to other academic related work, with a strong case from your Director of Studies. This can include compulsory farm-based practice during vacations for Veterinary Science students, or top up funding for course related travel for a year abroad, where a student is travelling further afield than is usual.
  • The maximum UK transport costs that can be claimed is the equivalent of a second class rail fare on a student railcard, where practicable.
  • Applications for a second CULP Language course, subject to DOS confirmation that it is related to the course.

The following will NOT be considered:

  • Expenses due to resits or College examinations out of the residence period.
  • Compulsory field trips advertised as part of the course.
  • Purchase of books/digital recordings.
  • Pens, pencils, glue, printing paper, delivery charges.
  • Course Fees for MPhil.
  • Purchase of software will not normally be considered unless the IT Office confirms that it is not available free to students via the University. Normally any software would be available via the College computers, subject to appropriate licensing.

If you are having difficulty meeting expenses such as those above not covered by the Academic Fund, please approach your Tutor or the Financial Welfare Officer to see if other funds are available.

Read how the Academic Fund has helped previous recipients.


Financial Support for Undergraduates

Girton College offers a range of financial support to students

Find out more