Skip to main content

Students with Additional Needs

Information for undergraduates

Students with medical needs

Financial support is available in some cases from the Crane's Charity medical support fund in the form of partial reimbursement of certain expenses incurred by students experiencing physical or mental illness. The treatment applied for should not be conveniently or readily obtainable under the NHS. (Contact your GP in the first instance).

How to apply?

  1. If you have not already tried to access the required essential medical treatment on the NHS, contact your GP. Find out the estimated NHS waiting list time for your treatment.
  2. If the waiting list for NHS treatment is too long and you are unable to finance private treatment yourself, read the eligibility criteria on the link here
  3. Read the application guidance including looking at the details of the application form.
  4. Talk to your College Tutor about applying. You may be asked to see the Nurses.
  5. Use this hard copy version of the application form for draft purposes and to discuss your needs with your Tutor
  6. Once you have the support of your Tutor, you can apply online here 
  7. For further guidance at any stage, contact the Financial Welfare Officer


Students with disabilities or additional needs

Students with disabilities, students who are neurodiverse or students who are experiencing difficulties can refer to the ADRC ( Accessibility and Resource Centre) for assessment and advice. The ADRC may recommend setting up a Student Support Document (SSD) if they think this would benefit you. Students with home fee status may also be eligible to apply for Disabled Students Allowance

You can access more information about  government support here:

Cambridge University's Accessibility and Resource Centre (ADRC) offers support and advice for UK, EU and International students as well as information about other funds. If UK students require human support (e.g. note-takers, specialist mentoring) they should apply to the Reasonable Adjustments Fund. Students with international fee status can apply to the International Disabled Students’ Fund to fund their support. Here is some further information:

Financial Support for Undergraduates

Girton College offers a range of financial support to students

Find out more