Skip to main content

Living in Girton accommodation and in Cambridge

For incoming Postgraduates

Postgraduate accommodation information

If you have applied to rent accommodation provided by the College by using the link that was in your offer email, rooms are being allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis based on the date we are notified of you having met all of your University conditions.  Allocation begins on 1 August.    

Our single-occupancy Postgraduate accommodation is located at the North West Cambridge site, called Eddington, in a modern accommodation block called Swirles Court where all bedrooms are en-suite. There are also a number of rooms available at “The Grange” on the Main Site.  Rents and tenancy options are available on this page:  Postgraduate Residence and Facilities Fees.   

College has limited accommodation for couples and families.  Availability changes each year.   

College room tenancies begin on 23 September, however earlier arrival dates for academic purposes may be agreed in advance with the Accommodation Manager.  You will be sent further information closer to your arrival date about collecting your University card and arranging to have documents scanned should you be on a Student Visa.  If you arrive in Cambridge before the 23rd of September, please email the Postgraduate Office about your University card. The term begins on 1 October.

You will be required to sign a formal tenancy agreement between yourself and the College if you live in our accommodation.  This is an important document and you must read it carefully and abide by the tenancy length that you sign up for.  The College Accommodation Handbook can be found at this link.  You will need your Raven password to access the handbook.   

Once here and you have obtained your Cambridge email and Raven password, you may access this Moodle site for further information about Swirles Court.  

Please email directly if you have any questions about College-owned accommodation. 


We've prepared the document here for those living out as you will meet situations that you wouldn't do living in College accommodation. It includes further information about Council Tax and other charges that you will incur living in a property on the open market.  

If you choose to live outside of College accommodation, please note that this must be located within 10 miles of the centre of Cambridge

If you live within the area served by Cambridge City Council, you do not need to apply for a council tax exemption letter from College.  You will need to apply for Council tax exemption via the City Council's website, and the Council will use information provided by the University to confirm your eligibility for exemption.  Please use this link to the form you need to complete.

If you live within the area served by the South Cambridgeshire Council (e.g. Girton Village), you may require a Council Tax exemption letter from College so please email, as soon as you move into your property. 

We are only able to provide letters once you have arrived in Cambridge and we ask that you give the office at least 48 hours’ notice in which to produce any certification letter - the letter will have a 1st of October start date.