Skip to main content

Undergraduate Fees and Charges

What do you pay for?

Undergraduate Fees and Charges

Students are responsible for paying their tuition fees and living costs. They receive a bill at the start of each term and at the start of the long vacation informing them what they have to pay.

There are late payment charges for overdue payments. If you cannot pay on time, it is very important that you contact your Tutor or Financial Welfare Officer in advance of the due date.

If you have any queries about your bill, please see our Frequently Asked Questions or contact the Finance Department.

Prices for the academic year are shown below and should be paid termly.  

Understanding your Undergraduate College Bill 

The bill that you receive will be made up of the following:

Girton College accommodation fees are inclusive of utilities, cleaning services and  wifi as well as contents insurance (for single occupancy rooms).

The only variation in residence fee is for an en-suite room instead of a standard room with shared bathroom facilities. The room balloting system ensures that you will get the chance to live in rooms of different standards and sizes across your time at Girton. The residence charge is usually fixed for the first three years of your course.

Tuition fees cover teaching and all the facilities provided by the University and College.  These fees appear on College bills termly. Home students can take out a Student Finance loan to cover these and, in most instances, Student Finance pays the Tuition fees directly on your behalf. 

Further information about the University of Cambridge Undergraduate Tuition Fees can be found at:

All students have a University or “Uniware” card which can be used to make purchases at the Porters' Lodge, cafeterias or on UPAY (used to pay for things like Formal Hall).

At the start of each term (with the exception of the final term of their course) each student’s card comes with a £500.00 credit.

At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s College Bill for payment.

If you exceed your credit limit you can top it up in the Porters’ Lodge.

Additional charges

These are non-standard charges, which are applicable in certain instances.

This is charged separately to students who are not living in College accommodation.

It covers the cost of access to non-academic facilities such as the subsidised meals in the College cafeteria for College students as well as the swimming pool and other sports facilities.

College fees are charged to international students and are a payment to the College for a range of educational, domestic and pastoral services and support.

Home students who are eligible for public support, don’t normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they are studying for a second undergraduate degree (affiliate students).

This is paid by all students in their first year at the College in three termly instalments via the College Bill.

It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc.

The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you graduating, or your degree being approved.

These could be for early arrival or Summer vacation accommodation. 

Other charges may arise for damage and/or transfer fees for accommodation. You will be notified  in advance of these being charged.

Support available

Residence bursary

All students who receive a full or partial Cambridge Bursary will automatically receive the Residence Bursary, which is equivalent to £760.00 per year.

Find out more about the Cambridge Bursary Scheme and Girton College Residence Bursary.