Bills & Finance

College Bills

Students are responsible for paying their tuition fees and living costs. They receive a bill at the start of each term and at the start of the long vacation informing them what they have to pay. Late payment fees will be charged for overdue payments so if you cannot pay on time it is very important that you contact your tutor in advance of the due date. Further information can be found here.

Financial Hardship Funds

It is generally accepted that University students are often managing on limited funds. At times this financial hardship can affect student’s ability to work, their health and general welfare. There are a number of ways in which these difficulties can be alleviated and College Tutors are usually best placed to know where and how to obtain funds for students.

Tutors are always happy to discuss financial problems with students and nobody should be deterred from seeking help because they feel their problem is too minor and will not be taken seriously.

The Cambridge Bursary Scheme

The Cambridge Bursary Scheme offers Home fee status students non-repayable Bursaries of up to £10,500 over three years or £14,000 over four years.

The value of each Bursary is dependent on household income.

There’s no limit to the number of Bursaries available.

You’re automatically considered for a Cambridge Bursary if you’re financially assessed by your student finance authority.

See the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website for more information.

College Hardship Fund

Girton College has its own hardship fund (The Buss Fund) which is administered by the Tutors as a group.

The purpose of the fund is alleviate acute student financial hardship either by way of loans or more often grants to undergraduate members of the College. Funds are unfortunately limited, although a substantial part of the College appeal work is directed at raising money for this fund. It is important to direct the funds to the most needy and allocations are made at fortnightly meetings of all Tutors.

There is no rigid formula governing the type or amount of award. This is a deliberate policy as each case is different and all considered individually on their merits. Inevitably there is an element of ‘means testing’ in this process and students are asked to complete a Hardship Fund Application indicating their incomings and outgoings.

Student Academic Fund

College has established a fund to provide grants for a number of academic purposes including vacation project or elective work, exceptional dissertation expenses and other academic costs related to particular subjects not covered by other College funds. The Committee meets termly to consider applications. Further details can be found on the Student Academic Fund page.

Travel Awards

Girton gives 35-40 Travel Awards each year to its undergraduate students. These are for travel in the Long Vacation and range from £150 to £500. The proposed travel does not have to be directly related to academic study. Further details can be found on the Travel Awards page.

Sports Awards

The College has a fund to make small contributions to sport related expenses.

Grants may be awarded to students to assist in meeting costs incurred while participating in their chosen sport. Further details can be found on the Sports Awards page.

Bell, Abbott & Barnes Fund

This is a University wide hardship fund which can be approached in particular circumstances. Applications are made by Tutors, on behalf of their student, by the division of each Term.