Undergraduate Fees & Charges

Students are responsible for paying their tuition fees and living costs. They receive a bill at the start of each term and at the start of the long vacation informing them what they have to pay. Late payment fees will be charged for overdue payments so if you cannot pay on time it is very important that you contact your tutor in advance of the due date.

Details of the different charges are available at:

If you have any queries about the fees and charges please see our Frequently Asked Questions webpage or contact the Bursary at: bursary@girton.cam.ac.uk

Your Bill

The bill that you receive will be made up of:
  • Tuition fees – set by the University of Cambridge and collected on behalf of the University by Girton College usually in termly instalments. Home/EU students may take out a government loan to cover these fees and will not be charged (the loan is paid directly to the college). Further information about the University of Cambridge Tuition Fees can be found at
  • College fees – charged to non-EU students and are a payment to the College for a range of educational, domestic and pastoral services and support. Home fee status students who are eligible for public support don’t normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they are studying for a second undergraduate degree (affiliate students).
  • Residence charge – includes the cost of your accommodation and the Facilities charge , if you are living in College accommodation. The only differential in residence fee is if you have an en-suite room or a standard room with shared bathroom facilities.  Size and features are not taken into account.  The room balloting system ensures that across your time at Girton you will get the chance to live in rooms of different standards and sizes. The charge is based on your cohort (students who start in the same academic year) and is usually fixed for the first three years of your course.
  • Facilities charge – charged separately to students who are not living in College accommodation. It covers the cost of access to non-academic facilities such as the swimming pool and other sports facilities as well as subsidised meals in the College cafeteria for College students.
  • Security deposit – paid by all students in their first year at the college in three termly instalments via the college bill. It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc. The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.
  • Uniware charges – all students have a University or “Uniware” card which can be used to make purchases in the Lodge, cafeterias or on UPAY (used to pay for things like Formal Hall). At the start of each term (with the exception of the final term of their course) each student’s card comes with a £500 credit. At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s college bill for payment. If you go past your credit limit you can top it up in the Porters’ Lodge.
  • Additional accommodation charges – these could be for early arrival or Vacation Accommodation.
  • Insurance – Contents insurance is included for students in college residence at no extra fee. Students not in college residence are encouraged to take their own insurance.
  • Additional charges – these are things like utility charges where they are not included in the Residence charge, damage charges and transfer fees for accommodation which you will be notified about in advance of them being charged.

Information on when and how to pay is available via our ‘Paying your bill’ webpage >>>

Charge details for previous years:

Details of College, tuition, accommodation and facilities charges are set out in the following attachments together with explanatory notes: