Skip to main content

College Tutors

Here to support you

All undergraduates and postgraduates are allocated a personal Tutor who can be consulted on any problem which is not strictly subject-related. In cases of personal, financial or more general academic problems, they can offer help or advice, and the earlier you consult them on such matters, the better.

Tutors may be involved with all aspects of a student's life. Besides acting as intermediary for you with the University and College authorities, your Tutor may be called upon to represent you outside College. (You may, for instance, ask to have your Tutor present at any interview with the police, or if charged with an offence against the law). Normally you should consult your own Tutor, but, if they are not available or if for any reason you prefer to see another Tutor, all Tutors may be consulted by any student.

The Undergraduate and Postgraduate Tutors operate an emergency rota during Term, ensuring that there is a Tutor on call each night during Term.  There is also an emergency rota in place outside of term.  Contact the Porters' Lodge in an emergency and they will be able to put you in contact with the Tutor on duty.  

Most Tutors have a weekly 'tutors office hour' where students can just turn up to talk to them. Sometimes this operates in person, and other times online. A guide to Undergraduate Tutor Hours' including where and when your tutor will host their session is at this link.  Postgraduates have been given their Tutor's contact details and drop-in times.   

Meeting your Tutor at the start of every term.  

Undergraduates must meet their Tutor within a week of the beginning of term. It is important that you do this.

Postgraduates are strongly encouraged to meet their Postgraduate Tutor particularly at the start of their course, but also invited to meet them occasionally throughout their time here.  

Your Tutor is concerned to ensure, as much as possible, that you have no academic, financial or other worries and can often offer assistance and signposting before things get out of hand. In addition, Cambridge University requires students to be “in residence” for a minimum period to be eligible for a degree and the meeting with the Tutor allows the College to confirm that you have arrived on site and are ready to engage with your studies. 

Student Information

Information for Girton Undergraduates and Postgraduates

Discover more