Graduate Fees and Charges

The University fees, College fees and College accommodation costs (if applicable) are payable in advance each term. Colleges are responsible for collecting all fees on behalf of the University. If you are self-funding, the College will ask for a pre-payment sufficient to cover fees and residence charges for one term. This is held on account until your final fee-paying term.

Students receive a bill at the start of each term and at the start of the long vacation informing them what they need to pay. Late payment fees will be charged for overdue payments so if you cannot pay on time it is very important that you contact your tutor in advance of the due date.

Details of the different charges are available at:

If you have any queries about the fees and charges please see  ‘Frequently Asked Questions‘ section or contact the Bursary at:

Your Bill

The bill that you receive will be made up of:
  • Tuition fees – set by the University of Cambridge and collected on behalf of the University by Girton College usually in termly instalments. The fee is dependent upon course and fee status. Further information is available at:
  • College fees – charged to non-EU students and are a payment to the College for a range of educational, domestic and pastoral services and support. Home fee status students who are eligible for public support don’t normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they are studying for a second undergraduate degree (affiliate students).
  • Residence charge – includes the cost of your accommodation and the Facilities charge, if you are living in College accommodation. All students in a cohort (students who start in the same academic year) pay the same amount per week regardless of what room they are allocated to.
  • Facilities charge – charged separately to students who are not living in College accommodation. It covers the cost of access to non-academic facilities such as the swimming pool and other sports facilities as well as subsidised meals in the College cafeteria for College students.
  • Security deposit – paid by all students in their first year at the college in three termly installments via the college bill. It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc. The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.
  • Uniware charges – all students have a University or “Uniware” card which can be used to make purchases in the Lodge, cafeterias or on UPAY (used to pay for things like Formal Hall). At the start of each term (with the exception of the final term of their course) each student’s card comes with a £500 credit. At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s college bill for payment. If you go past your credit limit you can top it up in the Porters’ Lodge.
  • Additional accommodation charges – these could be for early arrival or Vacation Accommodation.
  • Insurance – Contents insurance is included for students in college residence at no extra fee. Students not in college residence are encouraged to take their own insurance.
  • Additional charges – these are things like utility charges where they are not included in the Residence charge, damage charges and transfer fees for accommodation which you will be notified about in advance of them being charged.

Information on when and how to pay is available via our ‘Paying your bill’ webpage >>>