The easiest way to find ebooks is via iDiscover. Most, but not all, collections supplied by ebooks@cambridge are searchable in iDiscover. Information on the full collection can be found on the ebooks@cambridge LibGuide
For general guidance on searching iDiscover read our eGuide. To find an ebook:
- Enter one or more search terms in the search box. Autocomplete will suggest matches as you type (a general search will find print and ebooks).
- Ebooks include a green ‘Online access’ link. Some also include [electronic resource] in the title.
There are two ways to refine your results:
- After entering your search, an additional box with the phrase ‘All libraries/collections’ will appear.
- Click on the arrow and select ‘Ebooks’.
- Use ‘Refine my results’ after a search to limit your results to ebooks only.
- Click on the ‘Full Text Online’ and ‘Books’ filters to see only ebooks in your results.
- Click on the ebook title to open more detailed information about the book. Alternatively, click on ‘Online access’ to connect to the ebook immediately.
- Connect to the ebook using the link under ‘View Online’. The wording of the link varies by supplier.
- You will need a Raven password to access ebooks@cambridge titles from outside the Cambridge University network (and Dawsonera ebooks on campus).
- You can log in to Raven when you connect to an ebook from iDiscover. Or, you can log in to the iDiscover platform with Raven at any point during your searching.
- If you are logged in to the iDiscover platform, you should not be asked to enter Raven credentials when connecting to eresources including ebooks.
Electronic legal deposit via iDiscover
When searching iDiscover, you will sometimes find ebooks that are available on designated PCs only. You can spot these ebooks from the Conditions of Use statement that appears on the detailed record . These ebooks are made available through electronic legal deposit. See the Electronic Legal Deposit LibGuide for further information.
Excluding electronic legal deposit
If your iDiscover search results include items from Electronic Legal Deposit, you will see ‘Electronic Legal Deposit’ appear as a Collection filter. Hover over the filter and click the red ‘exclude’ icon to remove these items from your results.
Using an ebook
Different platforms work in slightly different ways but the principles are the same. Coming soon – examples of using different types of ebooks.
Printing and copyright
Due to copyright regulations, there are usually printing and downloading restrictions. Examples coming soon.
Downloading an ebook
Some ebook platforms allow you to download the entire book, some restrict the amount you can download, some restrict the length of time for which you keep the downloaded material. Examples coming soon.