Couple and family accommodation

Girton College has a small number of flats and houses that are let to Graduate couples or students with children. Information about charges can be found at: College Fees & Charges

The priority for flats is as follows:

  • Students with tutorial needs (such as disability) who need to be in a specific location. (Student Support Document, medical letter or tutors’ letter required)
  • Students new to Cambridge with families
  • Students new to Cambridge with a partner
  • Students new to Girton
  • Current Graduate students

To apply please complete the appropriate application form. Please be aware that we are not able to accommodate everyone who applies for couple or family accommodation and places may not be confirmed until close to the start of the academic year. Students can usually only remain in a property for one academic year.

Cockcroft Place flats

There are four flats in Cockcroft Place which are located 2.2 miles from Girton College and 1 mile from Cambridge City Centre (postcode is CB3 0HF). There are three two bedroom flats suitable for up to two adults and two children under 12 or two adults and one child over 12, and one flat with one bedroom suitable for two adults. The flats are all fully furnished including crockery, cutlery and utensils. There is a washing machine in each flat. Bed linen is provided but towels are not.

The flats are Council Tax band C. Council Tax is a charge on properties levied by the Local Authority and will be paid by the College and recharged where applicable. The tax varies according to the size of the property and to the status of the adults residing there. Discounts and/or exemptions can be claimed for all full time students, for non-employed spouses of overseas students where the visa restricts eligibility for employment and benefits and for working adults on low incomes. Charges vary from property to property and are increased by the Local Authority in March each year.

College Houses

Girton owns a few houses close to the College grounds which are suitable for students with families. The houses are furnished and have three or four bedrooms. Bed linen is not provided.

These properties will also have Council tax charges for eligible people.


Accommodation Office
+44 (0)1223 339032

At a glance

Other Options

If Girton is not able to provide accommodation, you may wish to look at the following links for advice and property details:

University Accommodation Service

The Accommodation-finding department for the University of Cambridge

University Accommodation Service website

Cambridge University Student Union (CUSU) and Graduate Union (GU)

Housing pages for the two Union bodies

CUSU Accommodation web site

Graduate Union Accommodation web site

Information for families

The University has a website for students with children:

Students, staff and fellows from Girton get priority for places at the Wolfson Court Day Nursery and Preschool