Development Office, Girton College, Huntingdon Road, Cambridge CB3 0JG
t. +44 (0) 01223 766672
Charity Number 1137541

Tax Matters

If you are considering a gift to Girton, firstly, thank you. Information on making both single and regular gifts in a tax-efficient manner can be found below. Please contact us if you have any questions.


Gifts from the UK: Gift Aid | Gifts of Shares | CAF | Payroll Giving

Gifts from outside the UK: Europe | USA | Hong Kong

Other: Corporate Matched Giving


Gifts from the UK

Gift Aid

Girton College is a Registered Charity, number 1137541. If you are a UK taxpayer, the value of your gift can be increased by an additional 25%, at no cost additional to you, if you complete a Gift Aid Declaration.
Charitable gifts of all sizes, whether one-off, regular, or by credit card, from UK taxpayers are now eligible for Gift Aid.
Girton can reclaim tax at the basic rate from HM Revenue & Customs.  This means Girton receives £12.50 for every £10 donated, and a regular gift of £10 per month for three years is worth £450 once tax has been reclaimed.

In addition, higher rate taxpayers can reclaim the difference between the basic and the higher rates of tax (i.e.: 40%-20%=20%) on the gross value of the donation when they complete their self assessment tax return. In the same way, additional-rate taxpayers can reclaim the difference between the basic and the top rates of tax (i.e.: 45%-20%=25%) on the gross value of the donation.

If you happen to be subject to tax in both the UK and the USA, please also see this note, as you may be able to get a tax deduction in both countries.

Worked example: gift to Girton of £1,000

Gift Amount

Gift Aid 

Tax Reclaim 

Final Cost to Donor

Benefit to Girton

Cash Gift






Cash Gift with Gift Aid, Basic Rate Taxpayer






Cash Gift with Gift Aid, Higher Rate Taxpayer






Cash Gift with Gift Aid, Additional Rate Taxpayer







Donating Shares to Girton College

Donations of shares and securities have become one of the most tax-efficient ways of giving. Income Tax relief applies to gifts of quoted shares and certain other investments by individuals and companies, whether resident or not in the UK. This is in addition to the relief from Capital Gains Tax.

  • The amount the donor can deduct is the market value of the shares or securities at the date of disposal plus any incidental cost of disposing of the shares.
  • Donors can claim tax relief at the top rate of tax on their Self Assessment or Corporation Tax return.
Worked Example: 


Girton College

Gift of shares



Income tax relief (40%)



Capital Gains Tax saving (18% of gain)






This example presumes a taxable income of £100,000-£150,000 and the shares were originally purchased for £10,000 and the donor’s annual Capital Gains Tax relief had been utilised elsewhere and additional Capital Gains were taxed at the 18% rate.
What shares and securities qualify?
  • Those listed or dealt in on a recognised stock exchange, whether in the UK or elsewhere, including shares traded on the Alternative Investment Market;
  • Units in an authorised unit trust;
  • Shares in a UK open-ended investment company; and
  • Holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes (offshore funds).
How do I donate stocks and shares to Girton?

Please contact the Development Director who will ask the College’s brokers to send you the relevant forms to transfer stocks. You may also like to read HM Revenue & Customs guidance on giving shares to charity.

Giving via the Charities Aid Foundation

Single gifts of any amount can be made by Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) Voucher. The College receives no extra tax benefit from CAF gifts. CAF Vouchers should be made payable to ‘Girton College’.

Payroll Giving

Payroll giving is a scheme available through UK employers, which enables you to make a charitable donation directly from your gross salary. For more information, please contact your company's payroll department.

Gifts from Europe

If you are resident and paying tax in certain Continental European countries, you may be able to make a tax-efficient gift to the College through Transnational Giving in Europe. More information including a list of agencies can be found on their website.

Gifts from the USA

US taxpayers can donate to Girton College through Cambridge in America, which is registered in the USA as a 501(c)(3), which enables donors to claim their donation against tax. On receiving your gift, Cambridge in America will send an acknowledgement letter, which should be retained for your tax records, as it fulfils the substantiation requirements that must be met in order to deduct your contribution. If you would like to donate to a specific project at Girton via Cambridge in America, please specify which project you would like to support when you make your donation.
To make a donation online, or to download a gift form, please visit the Cambridge in America Giving Page

The gift form should be sent to the following address:

Cambridge in America
PO Box 9123 JAF BLG
New York, NY 10087–9123

Persons subject to tax in both the UK and the USA

If you are subject to tax in both the UK and the US, you now have the opportunity to give to Cambridge in America (UK) Ltd, a registered charity in the UK, and thereby be simultaneously eligible for tax benefits in both countries.

Gifts from Hong Kong

Hong Kong Taxpayers can give tax-efficiently to Girton College through The Friends of Cambridge University in Hong Kong. The Friends of Cambridge University in Hong Kong is registered under section 88 of the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Ordinance. 5% of all donations made through The Friends will be used to fund Prince Philip Scholarships to support Hong Kong students studying at Cambridge.

For more information please contact Ms Cannie Kwan, the administration secretary:

The Administration Secretary

The Friends of Cambridge University in Hong Kong

c/w The Bank of East Asia Limited

GPO Box 31


Hong Kong

Tel: (852)3608 8277

Fax: (852)3608 6100


Corporate Matched Giving

Some companies will match donations that their employees make to charities. Your payroll department will be able to tell you whether your company operates a matched giving scheme. You will need to quote Girton College's Registered Charity Number, which is 1137541.