Applying to Girton
Forms & Deadlines
Girton Application Timeline
Extenuating Circumstances
Nine Things You Should Know
Living at Girton
Accommodation Overview
Main College Building
Ash Court
Swirles Court
College Houses
Visiting Girton
Open Days
Individual Visits
Fees & Funding
Students from the UK & EU
Students from Other Countries
Parents & Supporters
Supporting an Applicant
Once They're Here
For Schools
Schools Liaison
Supporting Your Students
Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Religion Taster Day 2018
Modern Languages Taster Day 2017
Humanities Writing Competition
Cambridge Colleges Physics Experience
Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic
Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
Biological Anthropology
Chemical Engineering
Computer Science
History and Modern Languages
History and Politics
Human, Social & Political Sciences
Land Economy
Management Studies
Modern & Medieval Languages
Natural Sciences (Physical & Biological)
Psychological & Behavioural Sciences
Politics, International Relations & Sociology
Social Anthropology
Theology, Religion and Philosophy of Religion
Veterinary Medicine
Graduate Open Day
Applying to Girton
Graduate Life at Girton
Tutor Support
Graduate Accommodation
Fees & Funding
Planning Your Finances
Funding Finder (external link)
College Fees & Charges
Paying Your Bill
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Research Awards


Graduate Office


+ (0)1223 766673

Graduate Fees and Charges

The University fees, College fees and College accommodation costs (if applicable) are payable in advance each term. Colleges are responsible for collecting all fees on behalf of the University. If you are self-funding, the College will ask for a pre-payment sufficient to cover fees and residence charges for one term. This is held on account until your final fee-paying term.

Students receive a bill at the start of each term and at the start of the long vacation informing them what they need to pay. Late payment fees will be charged for overdue payments so if you cannot pay on time it is very important that you contact your tutor in advance of the due date.

Details of the different charges are available at:

Information on when and how to pay is available at:

The bill that you receive will be made up of:

  • Tuition fees – set by the University of Cambridge and collected on behalf of the University by Girton College usually in termly instalments. The fee is dependent upon course and fee status. Further information is available at: http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/fees
  • College fees – charged to non-EU students and are a payment to the College for a range of educational, domestic and pastoral services and support. Home fee status students who are eligible for public support don't normally have to pay an additional College fee, unless they are studying for a second undergraduate degree (affiliate students).
  • Residence charge – includes the cost of your accommodation and the Facilities charge, if you are living in College accommodation. All students in a cohort (students who start in the same academic year) pay the same amount per week regardless of what room they are allocated to (the room balloting system ensures that across your time at Girton you will get the chance to live in rooms of different standards and sizes).
  • Facilities charge – charged separately to students who are not living in College accommodation. It covers the cost of access to non-academic facilities such as the swimming pool and other sports facilities as well as subsidised meals in the College cafeteria for College students.
  • Security deposit – paid by all students in their first year at the college in three termly instalments via the college bill. It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc. The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.
  • Uniware charges – all students have a University or “Uniware” card which can be used to make purchases in the Lodge, cafeterias or on UPAY (used to pay for things like Formal Hall). At the start of each term (with the exception of the final term of their course) each student’s card comes with a £500 credit. At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s college bill for payment. If you go past your credit limit you can top it up in the Porters’ Lodge.
  • Additional accommodation charges – these could be for early arrival or Vacation Accommodation.
  • Insurance – Contents insurance is included for students in college residence at no extra fee. Students not in college residence are encouraged to take their own insurance.
  • Additional charges – these are things like utility charges where they are not included in the Residence charge, damage charges and transfer fees for accommodation which you will be notified about in advance of them being charged.

If you have any queries about the fees and charges please see our Frequently Asked Questions webpage or contact the Bursary at: JLIB_HTML_CLOAKING

Charge details for previous years:


Student Contents Insurance

The College also provides contents insurance as part of its charges. Details of the cover are given on the provider's website and the following documents: