Bursary Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I contact the Bursary?

A. To contact the Bursary please call Martin on 01223 338974 or Clare on 01223 338977 or alternatively e-mail bursary@girton.cam.ac.uk.

Q. How much do I need to pay?

A. Each term you will be issued with a bill for how much you need to pay.

You will also need to pay additional charges such as utilities and Uniware charges. These charges will vary for every student.

Q. When do I need to make payments?

A. Information about when you need to pay can be found at: ‘Paying your bill‘ and will also be on the bottom of your bill.

Q. What payment methods are accepted?

A. The preferred method of payment is bank transfer but other payment methods are also accepted. Further information can be found at: ‘Paying your bill

Q. What happens if I am unable to pay my bill before the due date?

A. If you are not able to pay your bill you need to contact your Tutor before the due date to discuss the situation.

Depending upon your circumstances they may be able to request that any late charges are withheld.

There is a flat rate fine of £50.00 for late payment and interest is added to bills at base rate plus 10%, if they are not paid within ten days of the due date, in each term.

Q. What should I do if I have been charged late payment charges on my bill but I have a genuine reason why I have not paid?

A. Email reminders are sent out before late payments are added. Once a late fee has been added you will need to discuss any problems with your Tutor as the Bursary are not authorised to cancel late fees.

Q. I want to query some of the charges on my bill what do I need to do?

A. Please contact the Bursary as soon you become aware of any discrepancies so that they can explain any charges and look into any issues.

Q. What is the prepayment (financial guarantee) for?

A. This is a sum charged to Overseas undergraduates and all graduate students who do not have full funding or a Student Loan (commonly called self-funders).

  • It is paid either prior or shortly after arrival, depending upon your fee status.
  • Self-funding students will be required to pay a deposit equivalent to one term’s bill, including all College fees and charges.
  • This deposit will be refunded against your last bill before completion of your course.

Q. What is the Security Deposit?

A. This is not just for accommodation and is paid by all students in their first year at the College in three termly installments.

  • It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc.
  • The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.

Q. When is the Security Deposit refunded?

A. After any debts have been paid the remaining amount is refunded by bank transfer within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.

Q. What is Uniware (the University Card) and how does it work for making purchases?

A. All members of the University are given a University (Uniware) Card. This can be used to make purchases in the Lodges, the cafeterias or on UPAY.

  • For most students the card has a £500.00 credit limit per term which can be used against purchases.
  • At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s bill, i.e. money spent in the Michaelmas term is charged in the Lent term.
  • If you reach your credit limit you can top the card up at the Porters’ Lodge.
  • The credit limit is reduced for Graduates in term 10 or above and for Undergraduates and Graduates in the month before they graduate (apart from in exceptional circumstances for tutorial reasons).

Q. Why am I being charged a Facilities Charge if I am not living in College?

A. The Facilities Charge is paid separately by all students who do not live in College accommodation and who pay a University Fee (apart from those on a year abroad or working away) and covers the cost of access to non-academic facilities such as the swimming pool and other sports facilities as well as the cafeteria.

As a member of the College even if you do not live in College accommodation you have access to these facilities.

Paying the facilities charge helps maintain the facilities and gives you access to the members rate in the cafeteria.

Graduates who are writing up no longer pay University Fees so are exempt from the Facilities Charge, however they will be charged at the conference rates in the cafeteria unless they opt into paying the charge.

Q. How are utilities charged for in main College rooms?

A. In the main College building, the background heating and lighting is included in the charge for the room, but any additional power – such as when things are plugged in, is charged to the tenant through the use of a meter.

The charges are added to your bill. The bills are charged at cost including 5% VAT.

Q. How are utilities charged for in College houses?

A. In the Girton Road houses and Girton Gate, the residence charge includes a heating prepayment of £9.00 a week, which is set off against the actual charge.

Q. How many weeks’ accommodation will I be charged for?


  • Undergraduate students have a 37 or 38 week tenancy depending upon the University’s term dates apart from in Ash Court which has a 31 or 32 week tenancy as students are required to move out over the Christmas Vacation.
  • The standard length of a Graduate Tenancy is 48 weeks but can be adjusted to course length. It will be for a minimum of 39 weeks.

Q. What are unidentifiable/unattributable damages on my bill?

A. The College has agreed with the JCR that any damage to the College building that is not wear and tear and cannot be attributed to an individual will be divided amongst the Undergraduates living in College.

The damage is reported to Council towards the end of term and the JCR Committee should have details.

Q. When does my Students Loans Company (SLC) maintenance loan get paid into my bank account?

A. Once you have arrived and signed in with your Tutor at Girton the Students Loans Company (SLC) is informed and the loan should shortly be released to you.

You can also check the status of your loan by logging into your account.

Q. How do I apply for the Students Loans Company (SLC) maintenance loan?

A. The SLC maintenance loan is available for undergraduate students and some graduate students paying home fees. It needs to be applied for each academic year and is means tested based on your household’s income.

Q. When do I receive my Cambridge Bursary?

A. Undergraduate Cambridge bursaries are paid directly into student’s bank accounts each term.

Q. How do I apply for a Hardship Grant?

A. In the first instance you need to talk to your Tutor who will be aware of any Hardship Grants that you may be eligible for. They will have the forms etc. needed to apply. The Bursary does not deal with the application process for grants.

Q. What additional funding is available?


Q. How do I buy a ticket for Formal Hall?

A. Students can buy Formal Hall tickets through UPAY: http://www.girton.cam.ac.uk/girton-community/general-information/booking-a-meal/

Q. How much does it cost to transfer rooms?

A. Transfers between rooms have a standard charge of £25.00

Q. How much does it cost to use the laundry facilities?

A. The washing machines in the laundry rooms are charged at £2.10 per load and the use of the dryer is £1.05 per load. Tokens can be purchased from the Porter’s Lodge.

Q. What insurance level is provided and how do I claim?

A. Information about the insurance cover provided can be found at: ‘Insurance