PREVENT Freedom of Speech Statement
Repair Request
Near Miss
Internal Event Booking
Committees & Governance
Statutes and Ordinances
College Accounts
Committee Structure
Governing Body
Education Board
Health & Safety Consultative Committee
Information Management Committee
Information Technology Committee
Library Committee
Personnel Committee
Health and Safety
Lit Route Map
For Undergraduate Students
Undergraduate Living
Undergraduate Guide
General Admission
Senate House Arrangements
Graduation Buffet
Academic Dress
Graduation Photographs
Overnight Accommodation
Degree Certificates
College Policies
Booking Sports Pitches
Childcare Information
Booking a Meal - U-Pay
Catering and Bar – Opening Times
Complaints Procedure
Health & Welfare
Accommodation Handbook
Access Guide to College
Access Guide to Wolfson Court
ANUK Certificate
Fees, Funding & Awards
College Fees and Charges
Paying Your Bill
Bursary Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Awards
Sports Awards
Academic Fund
Thrive at Girton
IT Support
Opening Hours
Computer Room Locations
Electoral Registration
For Graduate Students
Graduate Living
Graduate Guide
Graduation Information
College Policies
Booking Sports Pitches
Booking a Meal (U-Pay)
Childcare Information
Access Guide to College
Access Guide to Wolfson Court
Catering and Bar – Opening Times
University Card
Health & Welfare
Graduate Accommodation Overview
Swirles Court
Couple and family accommodation
Accommodation Handbook
Access Guide to College
Access Guide to Wolfson Court
Accommodation Links
Fees, Funding & Awards
Planning Your Finances
College Fees & Charges
Paying Your Bill
Bursary Frequently Asked Questions
Funding Finder (external link)
Graduate Research Awards
Sports Awards
Thrive at Girton
IT Support
Opening Hours
Computer Room Locations
Electoral Registration
For Fellows
Life at Girton
Fellows' Guide to Girton
Childcare Information
Booking a Meal (U-Pay)
Catering and Bar – Opening Times
University Card
Policies Manual
Fellows Accommodation Overview
Fellows' Rents and Charges
Access Guide to College
Access Guide to Wolfson Court
Lists & Contacts
CamCORS Contacts
IT Support
Opening Hours
Computer Room Locations
For Staff
Manuals & Support
University Card
Policies Manual
IT Support
Opening Hours
Computer Room Locations
Lists & Contacts
CamCORS Contacts


College Nurse: Jacqui Isbister

Location: A Corridor, Old wing, Girton College


Tel: 01223 338937

Health & Welfare



College Nurses

Girton has a College Nurse, Jacqui Isbister who is available to help with a wide variety of health and welfare needs, ranging from help and advice with minor illnesses and injuries to support for emotional issues. If more specialised help or treatment is required, she will help refer you or point you in the right direction whether via you GP, the University Counselling Service or other local service.

Health & Welfare Centre

A Corridor
Old wing
01223 338937

Clinic Hours

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8.30 – 12.30
 Tuesday and Thursday 3.00 – 6.30
No appointment is necessary.
The Health and Welfare centre is not open during vacations.

Back to top


GP & Out of Hours Support

When the College Nurse is not on duty, if you become ill or injured and need medical help or advice, choose well by using the right NHS service for your needs.


Self-care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints, such as coughs and colds, sore throats, upset stomachs, and aches and pains can be treated with a well stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

Some self-care essentials
  • Paracetamol
  • Anti-diarrhoeal medicines
  • Re-hydration mixtures
  • Indigestion remedies
  • A thermometer

NHS 111

Medical help or advice is available 24 hours a day through NHS 111. You should use this service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situtation.  NHS 111 Option 2 is for mental health care, advice and support.


Easy access to advice and treatment from your Community Pharmacy. This service complements existing GP & Out of Hours services and may save the need for an appointment. For more details:

GP Surgeries

A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

You should only call 999 in an emergency. If it is not a life-threatening situation, consider the other options available to you.

Back to top


Counselling Services

University Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service is available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register

Cambridge University Counselling Service
2-3 Bene't Place
Lensfield Road
Cambridge CB2 1EL

Tel: 01223 332865

For more information please visit their website at

As well as one to one sessions the Counselling Service offers groups & workshops on a variety of different issues. They also produce some excellent self help leaflets on common problems such as Anxiety, Coping with Exams, Work-block & Insomnia.


College-Based Counselling

In addition to the University Counselling Service (UCS), the College provides a free and confidential College-Based Counselling service for all students registered at the College.

College-Based Counselling is a scheme at the University Counselling Service and subject to the same policies and procedures, including confidentiality.


How do I make an appointment?

Many people sort out problems by talking to friends, family or staff in their College or Department.  Sometimes looking up some information about things that are concerning them is helpful and UCAS has a large self-help information available on their website (see above).  However, there are times when this is not enough and you may wish to speak to the College-Based Counsellor in a private setting in College.

The College-Based Counsellor is available on Tuesdays during Full Term between 9am and 5pm in the Health & Welfare Centre on A corridor.

For more information please go to: College-Based Counselling at Girton

Please be sure to indicate that you are a member of Girton when you apply.  Please note, that during peak times, your application will be acknowledged and your details may be placed on a waiting list until a suitable appointment becomes available. 

Other Information:

Back to top


Support for Disabled Students

Students with disabilities should contact the Tutor for Disabilities (Maureen Hackett) or the Tutorial & Admissions Office before coming into residence so that we can ensure that any specific needs and arrangements are in place by the time you arrive. The College is happy to arrange a preliminary visit so that you can discuss your needs with both College and University staff, Directors of Studies and Tutors. For further details of access arrangements please visit the College's Access Guides.

The University Disability Resource Centre offers further guidance on sources of help available.

When you come into residence, please let the Porters' Lodge know if you will require assistance in responding to emergency evacuations for fire, etc.

Back to top


Health Related Information

Help with Health Care Costs

Some students are eligible for help with health costs on the grounds of low income (not just because you are a student). If you qualify for support, you can apply by completing a HC1 form. You will then receive help towards the costs of NHS prescriptions, NHS dental care, sight tests, glasses and contact lenses.

You can get a HC1 form from your GP surgery or dentist.

Click here for more information about HC1 forms


NHS Information

For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations and local health services

  • NHS 111: is available to call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones (select option 2, if experiencing a mental health crisis).
  • NHS Choices
  • Addenbrooke's Hospital


Physio Direct is a telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 01223 446999, Monday - Friday, 13.00 - 17.00. The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary. Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery.

Sexual Health

The Lime Tree Sexual Health Clinic

Address: 351 Mill Road, Cambridge, CB1 3DF.

For support and advise, telephone 0300 300 3030.

Services offered:

  • C Card Scheme
  • Chlamydia Testing
  • Contraception
  • Emergency Contraception
  • HIV Testing
  • STI Testing
  • Information on sexual assault assistance & support visit: or see our Reporting Sexual Assault guidance.
  • If you are sexually active it is a good idea to have regular sexual health checks. You can request a free postal Chlamydia test from the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Chlamydia Screening Programme or online at
  • Free condoms are available via the C-card scheme, please register for this with your welfare officers. A limited supply of condoms is also available in the Health and Welfare Centre, where there is also sexual health information.
  • Condoms are also available to collect from the Welfare Pigeon holes located in each of the Porter's Lodges or via the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers.
  • Should you require a pregnancy test the College Nurse can perform this and offer any support needed. If you would prefer a pregnancy test to be delivered to your pigeon hole, this can be requested through the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers or through CUSU.


Other websites:


Travel Advice

Back to top



Students wishing to register as an NHS dental patient locally can find out which practices in the city are accepting NHS patients using the NHS search facility.

Back to top


Welfare Officers & Student Advice Centre

Undergraduate Students:

Girton College have two Welfare Officers who are there to aid students by providing support and advice for any problems within college. Alongside welfare reps, it is their job to be active in college life, providing information about sexual health and work stress etc.  They are able to provide resources such as condoms, pregnancy tests and information on how to request chlamydia tests. Although these are important aspects of the role, the welfare officer primarily is there to, along with the nurse, provide any form of support required by all of the student body.


Graduate Students:

MCR stands for "Middle Common Room" (or sometimes "Middle Combination Room") and is the name for the body of graduate students at Girton College.  This includes PhDs, MPhils, LLMs and MBAs along with all other students studying postgraduate courses.  The MCR organises social events and represents postgraduate's concerns to the college.  The MCR Committee is a group of Girton graduates who try to ensure that the year runs smoothly for all members of the MCR who meet every other Wednesday in Wolfson Court where we discuss the various issues that we have or that have been brought to our attention.

There is a Welfare Officer for the Graduates


External to College:

CUSU & the Graduate Union provide confidential and independent support to all students through the Student Advice Service They employ a full time, Professional Student Adviser whose primary role is providing confidential support to students.

The Welfare & Rights Officer, Education Officer and Women's Officer are also able to provide support and representation. You can contact them at any time, whether it's a first point of call or a last resort. Their support is student-centred and free: they are independent from the College and the University so no one will know that you've contacted them unless you tell them.

The Graduate Union offers guidance to graduates with academic, financial and welfare concerns. If you need to discuss any issues in a confidential setting please contact the GU Welfare Officer. They will then arrange a meeting or discuss the issues by email or phone, according to your preferences.

Back to top


Dignity at Study (Sexual & Racial Harassment)

Living in a community involves treating other individuals with respect, in a courteous and civilised way, whatever their sex or status. The College finds unacceptable any form of behaviour that amounts to harassment.

College accepts the University guidelines that the defining features of harassment are "that the behaviour is offensive to the recipient, is unwanted by the recipient and would be regarded as harassment by any reasonable person".  The College policy and procedure follows the Recommended procedures of the University guidelines.

Any individual who considers that another's behaviour (whosoever that person may be) falls into the category of sexual or racial harassment, may consult their own or any of the Tutors, the College Nurses, or the JCR Welfare or Womens Officer.

Please see the links below for further information:

Back to top


Reporting Sexual Assault

The University of Cambridge and its Colleges are committed to providing a safe environment for their students, and to responding appropriately to any incidents.  This guidance has been produced for students who have been sexually assaulted or raped.  It gives information on the things you might want to consider to help you make an informed choice about what to do.

Guidance can be found below:

Sexual Assault Disclosure

Sexual Assault and Rape information leaflet

Back to top



HIV/AIDS & Safe Sex

The College subscribes to the University guidelines on HIV and AIDS, a copy of which may be consulted on the Tutors' Notice Board. As in all other private matters, students should note that confidentiality is upheld in all personal affairs which may come to the attention of the College Tutors or Nurses.

Contraceptive machines are positioned in College in the toilets in the JCR corridor and in Wolfson Court in the Disabled WC.

Back to top


Drugs and Alcohol

The College Council reminds members of the College in statu pupillari:

  1. that to take drugs otherwise than under medical direction is dangerous.

    Any member of the College suffering physically or mentally from drug-taking is urged to seek early advice. The Tutors are always ready to give personal advice and help to their pupils. Confidential advice can also be obtained by members of the College from their general practitioners or from the University Counselling Service (; Tel: 01223 332865).
  2. that, under legislation dealing with dangerous drugs, the unauthorised possession of certain drugs, including cannabis is a criminal offence.

    Members of the College who have unauthorised possession or make unauthorised use of any such drug, or who supply any person with such a drug or knowingly assist him or her to obtain unauthorised possession of it, render themselves, independently or in addition to any penalty they may suffer on conviction by a Court of Law, liable to rustication or expulsion by the College Council. Nor will the College protect a student from the due processes of the Law.
  3. Following the introduction of the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 dealing with so-called “legal highs”, it is now a criminal offence to produce, supply, offer to supply, possess with intent to supply and to import or export certain psychoactive substances which are proscribed under the Act.

    Members of College who engage in any of the above illegal activities in relation to such psychoactive substances will also face disciplinary action where the penalty shall be rustication or expulsion by the College Council.
    Although possession of such substances for personal use and personal consumption is not a criminal offence under the Act, members of College who possess for their own use and/or who consume psychoactive substances on College premises or who facilitate such use will also be subject to disciplinary action.
  4. that excessive consumption of alcohol is both detrimental to health and to a student’s ability to study. It can also result in antisocial behaviour leading to harassment, abuse of others and disruption of College life.

    Being drunk or being dependent on alcohol is not a disciplinary offence, though in the latter instance, the College offers support, and urges students to take it. Non-alcoholic options (including non-alcoholic wines and beers) are available in College bars and at all College events.

    Anti-social behaviour, which is often a consequence of excess drink, is not tolerated by the College and is dealt with by the Dean as a disciplinary matter. In this case drunkenness is regarded as a compounding factor in any offence, not an excuse.

    The College reserves the right to take disciplinary action - including rescinding the right to live in college accommodation, rustication or expulsion - against any student indulging in excessive alcohol consumption.

Back to top