Skip to main content

Bursary frequently asked questions

Please contact the Bursary Office if you require more assistance

Contact Information

The preferred contact for the Bursary is to email us on We can also be contacted on the telephone on  +44 (0)1223 338974, or Clare on +44 (0)1223 338977.

Bursary FAQs

Each term you will be issued with a bill for how much you need to pay.

You will also need to pay additional charges such as utilities and Uniware charges. These charges will vary for every student.

 Information about when you need to pay can be found at Paying your bill and will also be on the bottom of your bill.

The preferred method of payment is bank transfer but other payment methods are also accepted such as cheques, standing orders and for students with UK no bank account, TransferMate.

We do not receipt payments automatically, but we can reply to say we have received money by return email if you send an email to 

If you are not able to pay your bill you need to contact your Tutor before the due date to discuss the situation.

Depending upon your circumstances they may be able to request that any late charges are withheld.

There is a flat rate fine of £50.00 for late payment and interest is added to bills at base rate plus 10%, if they are not paid within ten days of the due date, in each term.

Email reminders are sent out before late payments are added. Once a late fee has been added you will need to discuss any problems with your Tutor as the Bursary are not authorised to cancel late fees.

Please contact the Finance office as soon you become aware of any discrepancies so that they can explain any charges and look into any issues.

This is a sum charged to Overseas undergraduates and all postgraduate students who do not have full funding or a Student Loan (commonly called self-funders).

  • It is paid shortly after arrival, on your first College bill.
  • Self-funding students will be required to pay a deposit equivalent to one term’s bill, including all College fees and charges.
  • In effect you pay two term's worth of fees and charges in your first term, and considerably less in your final term at the end of your course.
  • This deposit will be refunded against your last bill before completion of your course.

This is not just for accommodation and is paid by all students in their first year at the College in three termly installments.

  • It is used to cover the cost of any damage to your room or College property and is used to pay any debts which have yet to be charged to your bill once you have left such as Uniware card charges, library fines etc.
  • The remaining amount is refunded within one month of you Graduating or your degree being approved.

After any debts have been paid the remaining amount is refunded by bank transfer within one month of you graduating or your degree being approved.

All members of the University are given a University (Uniware) Card. This can be used to make purchases in the Lodges, the cafeterias or on UPAY.

  • For most students the card has a £500.00 credit limit per term which can be used against purchases.
  • At the end of each term the amount that has been spent is added to the following term’s bill, i.e. money spent in the Michaelmas term is charged in the Lent term.
  • If you reach your credit limit you can top the card up at the Porters’ Lodge.
  • Students receive registration details on receipt of their card.  The card can be managed via the UPAY app or the website Upay  Students can monitor spend, amount left and usage.
  • The credit limit is reduced for Postgraduates in term 10 or above and for Undergraduates and Postgraduates in the month before they graduate (apart from in exceptional circumstances for tutorial reasons).
  • The Credit limit can be reduced or removed completely at the request of the student to aid with budgeting and spending.  Please contact the Bursary on to request this.

The College Contribution is paid separately by all students who do not live in College accommodation and who pay a University Fee (apart from those on a year abroad or working away).  This is a relatively small contribution to the running of all non-academic facilities on site from which all students can benefit, including subsidised food, assistance from the lodge, sports facilities including the swimming pool, and much else. 

Postgraduates who are writing up no longer pay University Fees so are exempt from the College Contribution, however they will be charged at the conference rates in the cafeteria unless they opt into paying the charge.

Utilities are included within the residence charge for all main college rooms and student hostels.

In houses occupied by one student and their families the Gas and Electric are metered and charged for monthly.

Undergraduate students have a 37 or 38 week tenancy depending upon the University’s term dates apart from in Ash Court which has a 31 or 32 week tenancy as students are required to move out over the Christmas Vacation.

The standard length of a Postgraduate Tenancy is 49 weeks but can be adjusted to course length. It will be for a minimum of 42 weeks.

The College has agreed with the JCR that any damage to the College building that is not wear and tear and cannot be attributed to an individual will be divided amongst the Undergraduates living in College.

The damage is reported to Council towards the end of term and the JCR Committee should have details.

Transfers between rooms have a standard charge of £25.00

The washing machines in the laundry rooms are charged at £2.50 per load and the use of the dryer is £1.25 per load. Tokens can be purchased from the Porter’s Lodge.


 Information about the insurance cover provided can be found here, under the insurance section

Once you have arrived and signed in with your Tutor at Girton, the Student Loan Company (SLC) is informed and the loan should shortly be released to you.

You can also check the status of your loan by logging into your online Student Finance account.

The SLC maintenance loan is available for undergraduate students and some postgraduate students paying home fees. It needs to be applied for each academic year and is means tested based on your household’s income.

  • Further information is for Undergraduates is available here
  • Further information for Postgraduates is available here

Undergraduate Cambridge bursaries are paid directly into student’s bank accounts early each term.

In the first instance you need to talk to your Tutor who will be aware of any Hardship Grants that you may be eligible for. They will have the forms etc. needed to apply. The Finance Office does not deal with the application process for grants.

Information about funding for Undergraduates can be found at: Undergraduate funding 

Information about funding for Postgraduates can be found at: Cambridge University Graduate Funding

Students can buy Formal Hall tickets through UPAY

Student Information

Information for Girton Undergraduates and Postgraduates

Discover more