Skip to main content

Girton Student Health Centre

Here to help with your of health and welfare needs

College Nurses

Girton has two College Nurses, Jacqui Isbister and Rachel Lloyd who are available to help with a wide variety of health and welfare needs, ranging from help and advice with minor illnesses and injuries to support for emotional issues. If more specialised help or treatment is required, they will help refer you or point you in the right direction whether via you GP, the University Counselling Service or other local service.

Health Centre Clinic Hours

Nurse appointments

  • Book on the day appointments are available Monday to Friday, between 8:30 am and 11:00 am.  These are generally for new onset or minor illness queries. To access, please email the nurses on, or call +44 (0)1223 338937 and we will call you back. If we need to see you in person, we can arrange a mutually convenient time for you to come to the Health Centre.
  • Pre-booked appointments for support with mental health or ongoing conditions are also available daily Monday to Friday. Appointments can be booked via Moodle using this link:

The Health and Welfare Centre is not open during vacations.

When the College Nurse is not on duty, if you become ill or injured and need medical help or advice, choose well by using the right NHS service for your needs. The College Porters are trained in First Aid, please contact them on +44 (0)1223 38999 (Girton College) or +44 (0)1223 760021 (Swirles Court).


Self-care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses, ailments and injuries. A range of common illnesses and complaints, such as coughs and colds, sore throats, upset stomachs, and aches and pains can be treated with a well stocked medicine cabinet and plenty of rest.

Some self-care essentials:

  • Paracetamol
  • Anti-diarrhoeal medicines
  • Re-hydration mixtures
  • Indigestion remedies
  • A thermometer

NHS 111

Medical help or advice is available 24 hours a day through NHS 111. You should use this service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situtation.


Easy access to advice and treatment from your Community Pharmacy. This service complements existing GP & Out of Hours services and may save the need for an appointment. For more details:

GP Surgeries

A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke’s Hospital An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

You should only call 999 in an emergency. If it is not a life-threatening situation, consider the other options available to you.

Cambridge University Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service is available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register.

Cambridge University Counselling Service Student Services Building
New Museums Site
Bene’t Street
Tel: 01223 332865

For more information please visit their website.

As well as one to one sessions the Counselling Service offers groups & workshops on a variety of different issues. They also produce some excellent self help leaflets on common problems such as Anxiety, Coping with Exams, Work-block & Insomnia.

College-based Counselling

In addition to the University Counselling Service (UCS), your College provides a free and confidential College-Based Counselling service for all undergraduate and postgraduate students registered at the College.

College-Based Counselling is a scheme at the University Counselling Service and subject to the same policies and procedures, including confidentiality.

How do I make an appointment?

Many people sort out problems by talking to friends, family or staff in their College or Department. Sometimes looking up some information about things that are concerning them is helpful and UCS has a large selection of self-help information available on their website. However, there are times when this is not enough and you may wish to speak to the College-Based Counsellor in a private setting in your College.

Please note there are revised arrangements for Easter Term 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic. Further information is available here.

Please note, that during peak times, your application will be acknowledged and your details may be placed on a waiting list until a suitable appointment becomes available.The Counsellor is employed by the University Counselling Service (UCS), and students completing the online form are encouraged to apply to UCS and College-Based Counselling simultaneously for the shortest possible waiting time. College-Based Counselling is subject to all UCS’s policies and procedures, including confidentiality.

Student Drop-In Sessions at Girton College:

Bookable student drop-in sessions are available to any students at Girton College, who have concerns about their emotional well-being. The sessions are short, one-off appointments, lasting for up to 25 minutes, with a College Counsellor. They provide an opportunity for students to talk confidentially about their concerns and to find out more about the emotional support available. Please note that, due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, all sessions will take place via zoom, until further notice.

The appointments – which need to be booked via the University Counselling Service reception - will run on Thursdays during Michaelmas Term from 5 October to 3 December 2021. Two bookable slots will be available each week and times will vary. Students will need to reserve an appointment by emailing Please make sure you include the name of your College in your email. Reception will then email you to confirm whether a slot is available and at what time.

Please note, these sessions are not suitable for students who are feeling at risk or in crisis. In these situations, the student should contact their Tutor, who can arrange an appointment with a Mental Health Advisor at the University Counselling Service, or they can call NHS 111 option 2 to speak with a mental health professional or Samaritans on 116 123.

Other Information:

  • In an emergency, please call 111, and select option 2 for mental health support. You can also attend your local A&E hospital.
  • Nightline – Confidential helpline run nightly, 19.00-07.00 during Full Term. Telephone: 01223 744 444
  • Mind – a Mental Health charity: Infoline 0300 123 3393
  • PAPYRUS – Prevention of Young Suicide. Telephone: 0800 068 41 41
  • Samaritans – 4 Emmanuel Road, Cambridge CB1 1JW. National Helpline: 116 123
  • Students Against Depression
  • Beat Eating Disorders

Students with disabilities should contact the Tutor for Disabilities (Maureen Hackett) or the Tutorial & Admissions Office before coming into residence so that we can ensure that any specific needs and arrangements are in place by the time you arrive. The College is happy to arrange a preliminary visit so that you can discuss your needs with both College and University staff, Directors of Studies and Tutors. For further details of access arrangements please visit the College’s Access Guides.

The University Disability Resource Centre offers further guidance on sources of help available.

When you come into residence, please let the Porters’ Lodge know if you will require assistance in responding to emergency evacuations for fire, etc.

Help with Health Care Costs

Some students are eligible for help with health costs on the grounds of low income (not just because you are a student). If you qualify for support, you can apply by completing a HC1 form. You will then receive help towards the costs of NHS prescriptions, NHS dental care, sight tests, glasses and contact lenses.

You can get a HC1 form from your GP surgery or dentist.


NHS Information

For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations and local health services:


Physio Direct is a telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 01223 446999, Monday – Friday, 13.00 – 17.00.

The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary.

Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery.

Sexual Health

Services offered:

  • C Card Scheme
  • Chlamydia Testing
  • Contraception
  • Emergency Contraception
  • HIV Testing
  • STI Testing

Address: 351 Mill Road, Cambridge, CB1 3DF.

For support and advise, telephone 0300 300 3030.

  • Information on sexual assault assistance & support here or see our Reporting Sexual Assault guidance.
  • If you are sexually active it is a good idea to have regular sexual health checks. You can request a free postal Chlamydia test from the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Chlamydia Screening Programme or online at
  • Free condoms are available via the C-card scheme, please register for this with your welfare officers. A limited supply of condoms is also available in the Health and Welfare Centre, where there is also sexual health information.
  • Condoms are also available to collect from the Welfare Pigeon holes located in each of the Porter’s Lodges or via the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers.
  • Should you require a pregnancy test the College Nurse can perform this and offer any support needed. If you would prefer a pregnancy test to be delivered to your pigeon hole, this can be requested through the JCR/MCR Welfare Officers or through CUSU.
  • Family Planning Association

Travel Advice:

Undergraduate Students:

Girton College have two Welfare Officers who are there to aid students by providing support and advice for any problems within college. Alongside welfare reps, it is their job to be active in college life, providing information about sexual health and work stress etc. They are able to provide resources such as condoms, pregnancy tests and information on how to request chlamydia tests. Although these are important aspects of the role, the welfare officer primarily is there to, along with the nurse, provide any form of support required by all of the student body.

Postgraduate Students:

MCR stands for “Middle Common Room” (or sometimes “Middle Combination Room”) and is the name for the body of graduate students at Girton College. This includes PhDs, MPhils, LLMs and MBAs along with all other students studying postgraduate courses. The MCR organises social events and represents postgraduate’s concerns to the college. The MCR Committee is a group of Girton graduates who try to ensure that the year runs smoothly for all members of the MCR who meet every other Wednesday in Wolfson Court where we discuss the various issues that we have or that have been brought to our attention.There is a Welfare Officer for the Graduates

External to College:

CUSU & the Graduate Union provide confidential and independent support to all students through the Student Advice Service They employ a full time, Professional Student Adviser whose primary role is providing confidential support to students.The Welfare & Rights Officer, Education Officer and Women’s Officer are also able to provide support and representation. You can contact them at any time, whether it’s a first point of call or a last resort. Their support is student-centred and free: they are independent from the College and the University so no one will know that you’ve contacted them unless you tell them.The Graduate Union offers guidance to graduates with academic, financial and welfare concerns. If you need to discuss any issues in a confidential setting please contact the GU Welfare Officer. They will then arrange a meeting or discuss the issues by email or phone, according to your preferences.

Living in a community involves treating other individuals with respect, in a courteous and civilised way, whatever their sex or status. The College finds unacceptable any form of behaviour that amounts to harassment.College accepts the University guidelines that the defining features of harassment are “that the behaviour is offensive to the recipient, is unwanted by the recipient and would be regarded as harassment by any reasonable person”. The College policy and procedure follows the recommended procedures of the University guidelines.

Any individual who considers that another’s behaviour (whosoever that person may be) falls into the category of sexual or racial harassment, may consult their own or any of the Tutors, the College Nurses, or the JCR Welfare or Womens Officer.

Please see the links below for further information:

The University of Cambridge and its Colleges are committed to providing a safe environment for their students, and to responding appropriately to any incidents. This guidance has been produced for students who have been sexually assaulted or raped. It gives information on the things you might want to consider to help you make an informed choice about what to do.

Guidance can be found below:

The College subscribes to the University guidelines on HIV and AIDS, a copy of which may be consulted on the Tutors’ Notice Board. As in all other private matters, students should note that confidentiality is upheld in all personal affairs which may come to the attention of the College Tutors or Nurses.

Contraceptive machines are positioned in College in the toilets in the JCR corridor. 

Whilst drink may seem a regular part of the Cambridge scene, it is not a necessary part.  Many students do not realise how easy it is to drink too much and become dependent.  Work suffers and so do you.  College bars always sell non-alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic drinks are provided at all College events; don’t be afraid to choose them.

Any member of the College who wishes advice on how to moderate their drinking can seek advice from their Tutor, the University Counselling Service, the College Nurses and their GP.

The College Council reminds members of the College in statu pupillari:That to take drugs other than under medical direction may compromise your work

That, under legislation dealing with drugs, the unauthorised possession of certain drugs is a criminal offence. College cannot protect a student from the due process of the law.

Any member of the College suffering physically or mentally from drug-taking is urged to seek early advice. Tutors are always ready to give personal and confidential advice and help to their students. Confidential advice can also be obtained from local GPs, from the University Counselling Service, or local advice centres, such as the Bridge Project, 154 Mill Road, Cambridge (tel: 214614).

Student Information

Information for Girton Undergraduates and Postgraduates

Discover more